Community : Submission Deadlines and Contests :: Center for Fiction, Consequence, Prairie Schooner, more
In our desire to be not only a portal and publisher for creative discipline and output, but also an empower-er and expander-er (er…) of community, we will do our best to provide you from time to time with announcements and opportunities for writers and artists. Thanks to Jessie Chaffee, the MFA coordinator at CCNY, for this particular yield!
- The Center for Fiction’s Short Story Contest: The Center for Fiction is hosting a short story contest through its online magazine The Literarian. The prize for first place is $1,000 and publication in the fall issue of The Literarian. Two runners up will receive $100 each. Each submission must have a cover sheet that includes the writer’s contact information (name, address, email, phone) and the titles of the story. The deadline is July 2nd and the admission fee is $15. More information
- Call for Submissions: Consequence Magazine, a print, literary journal that focuses on the culture of war, is seeking fiction, non-fiction, and poetry that address the consequences of armed conflict. Submissions are open June 1-September 1. More information
- Call for Submissions: Better, a new journal of culture and literature, is seeking essays, stories, poems, visual or video artwork, and music or audio artwork for its inaugural journal. The deadline to submit is July 15. More information
- 2012 Grazing Grain Press Fall for the Chapbook Contest: This contest promotes feminist poetry by writers of all genders and sexualities. The judges are interested in socially-conscious work that explores ideas and identities as connected to gender, sexuality, race and ethnicity, culture, and ability. The award includes chapbook publication, contributor copies, and an invitation to read at a celebratory event at the Fall for the Book literary festival. Manuscripts should be original poetry (not previously published in chapbook or book form) of 15-20 pages. The entry fee is $20 and the contest is open June 15-August 1. Read guidelines & submit work.
- Call for Papers: Donavan L. Ramon, a PhD candidate at Rutgers University, is seeking papers for a roundtable and panel that he is chairing at the 2013 Northeast Modern Language Association (NeMLA) conference in Boston. The roundtable is entitled “Racism 2.0: Race in the Digital Age” and the panel is on “The ‘Soul’ of W.E.B. DuBois: Fifty Years Later.” Proposal Deadline: September 30. More information
- Call for Submissions for Tribes Summer Reading Series: A Gathering of the Tribes literary magazine is looking for writers to participate in a bi-weekly summer reading series. The submission deadline for the July 7th reading is July 1st. More Information/Submission Details
- Women Writers in Bloom Poetry Salon Seeking Submissions for Poetry Anthology: Founded by CCNY alumna Juliet Howard, the Women Writers in Bloom Poetry Salon is seeking work by women poets for a poetry anthology that will be published by Clique Calm Books, Inc. (founded by CCNY alumna Gladys E. Perez-Bashier). Email poetry submissions (no more than 8 pages) as a word document to WWBPS.Anthology@gmail.com
with your name in the subject line. Submission deadline: July 5th, 2012. More information.
- Prairie Schooner is holding its inaugural Creative Nonfiction Contest, judged by author Steven Church. It is $5 to enter, and the winner receives $250 and publication in Prairie Schooner‘s Spring 2013 issue. Submissions open on May 2 and close on August 31, 2012. Find more details on the Prairie Schooner website and the attached poster.